During harvest, allow yourself 10 minutes per field. There's more to look at in a corn hybrid or soybean variety than just the yield. Yes, I agree yield is the most important factor, but there are other things to consider.
- Do you see logged stalks or plants?
- Do you see signs of diseases?
- Do you see signs of insect damage?
- Did mother nature throw you a curve this season? (Early frost, hail, wind damage, too much moisture, not enough moisture)
- Did you have adequate fertility for your crop?
- Do you see any signs of deficiencies like Nitrogen leaching, barren stalks, or your crop matured earlier than it should have?
These are some things to consider as your harvest progresses.
Last but not least, please take an additional 10 minutes to make sure you're working safely and taking the time needed to do your job the right way!
Have a Safe and bountiful harvest!